Carrabelle is unique for its freshwater and saltwater fishing (a well-kept treasure of this tiny coastal town) and is a boat lovers paradise. Carrabelle is home to the world’s smallest police station, Camp Gordon Johnston WWII Museum , The Big Bend Saltwater Classic (fishing tournament), Crooked River Lighthouse, and the St. James Bay golf course designed by Robert Walker. Most vacation properties in this area either offer white sandy beaches or direct deep water boat access – but they all offer a fantastic view.
Worlds Smallest Police Station
Worlds smallest police station in Carrabelle is a blue phone booth on the main drag of Highway 98. The phone booth was installed in 1963 to keep policemen out of the rain.
Crooked River Lighthouse
The 103′ lighthouse was built to replace the lighthouse on Dog Island that was destroyed in a hurricane in 1875. The tower was originally red with a black cupola, but the lower half was repainted white around the turn of the century. The lighthouse was electrified in 1933 and automated and unmanned in 1952. The lighthouse was decommissioned in August of 1995.
The park has a dunes walk out to the beach, picnic tables and restrooms. It is located on Highway 98 just two miles west of Carrabelle. In 1943 the beach was used in part of the training of the troops from Camp Gordon Johnston for the Normandy Invasion on D-Day. (June 6 th 1944)
Camp Gordon Johnston WWII Museum
The base was used as an amphibious training facility for the Normandy Invasion.
Dog Island is small and remote, accessible only by boat, ferry or airplane. The Nature Conservancy owns most of the island, whilst some portions are also privately owned residential property. Dog Island has a rich maritime history and there is some evidence of a human presence on the island as early as 8,000 years ago.
Dog Island Light House
Dog Island Light was built on the western tip of Dog Island in 1838 to mark the “middle entrance to St. George’s Sound.” The light was first lit in February 1839. The tower was only forty feet tall but contained 14 lamps with 16-inch reflectors in a revolving lens. In October 1842, a hurricane destroyed keeper Latham Babcock’s dwelling and a portion of the lighthouse fell down. A temporary wooden tower was used until the brick tower could be repaired. In 1856, a revolving fourth order Fresnel lens was installed to replace the obsolete lamp and reflector system. During the Civil War, Confederates burned the stairway and damaged the lens to prevent its use as a lighthouse or lookout tower. Repairs were made after the war and the light was relit. In 1872, beach erosion undermined the base of the tower, causing it to lean. Since the keeper’s dwelling was located on higher ground farther inland, the lens was moved to the roof of the dwelling. A hurricane in 1873 destroyed both the tower and the dwelling.
Dog Island Airport
A publicly owned turf runway, that is 2700 x 120 ft. in size. The airport is managed by Dog Island Conservation District in Carrabelle. (Phone: 850-697-4702)